So who's going to join me in Utah in January?

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

So who's going to join me in Utah in January?

Postby Teej » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:41 pm

Just got signed up, first on the list. :D

Jan 22-25.

Teej
Teej

Utah Winter Games 2008

Postby George » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:03 am

Cool, I assume that's the camp that's capped off with the Utah Winter Games. That's the best school of all to go to! I should be around for the last few days.

George
George
Site Admin

Postby Teej » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:55 am

That it would be.

The UWG isn't confirmed yet...but it is expected to be.

To cut a long story short, they were not prepared to take reservations until late yesterday for anything this season - they just got authorization to have the schools late last week.

T
Teej

Postby skeletor » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:03 am

Teej,
Sounds like fun! Would you happen to have any details to share, e.g. cost, living accommodations included/not, etc? Would love to get some sliding experience this winter and PC appears to be the best option. Thanks!
skeletor

Postby Teej » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:16 am

Cost is $600 ($400 deposit)

Accommodations not included.

She told me that they have some local deals but I suspect my wife has points we'll be using.

You'll probably want to pop over to USBSF and download tehir membership PDF and get your physician's signoff on one of the pages in that.

There's also a school yet this month as well as in December.
Teej

Oh yeah...

Postby Teej » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:31 am

The Brochure that George linked in another thread is the same one I got.

However, Don Croce told me to contact Sport Services instead of usbsf
Teej

Postby skeletor » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:51 pm

Thanks, Teej!
Since you are clearly on your way, I hope you don't mind another question ..... did you need to apply/be invited to the PC school? Based on the posts I have read here, it seems like skeleton newbies (but oldies, I'm 37) who are enthusiastic, but lack a glowing athletic resume are better off attempting to get in at PC vs. LP. The reason I am asking is that I believe it would be more cost effective for me to stay on the east coast and attend LP in April 2008 (thanks for the link). That being said, this would be dependent on how good/slim my chances are of getting accepted at LP based on my average athletic accomplishments and advanced age. If slim, the better option may be to forget about LP altogether and focus on trying to get in at PC and join you on Jan 22-25. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially on how you positioned yourself in the "best athletic performances" section of the USBSF application form, if you did, indeed, need go this route. I just want to slide, man ...... Thanks again.
skeletor

Well...

Postby Teej » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:15 pm

One of three situations apply:

1. Either there's separate "schools" (public vs invite)
2. Utah and LP are just _THAT_ different
3. Times have changed.

I did not have to "apply" for the UOP school. The form implies you can just "go to" the listed schools for LP also.

I'm in a similar (sinking? :D ) boat as you - 38 and I've never done competitive athletics.

You're looking at the "recruiting" page I think. I never filled that out.
Teej

Postby slace22 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:26 pm

Hey guys.
I went to skeleton school last January in Utah and competited in the Utah Winter Games, we had 23 people in our class and we had a very very talented class of people and we all got along very well and went out a few times together to eat so my best advice is to enjoy it and have fun.
Im 41 but have a very long athlete resume i just played semi-pro football last year and they never contacted my coach or anything so i doubt they really check on those things.
Utah is an awesome place and the people there are the best , at your ages Utah would be the best place to go because its more laid back and you can get your confidence up because nobody will bash you for making mistakes.
I live in Florida so i will most likely be in LP more this year because its cheaper for me to fly there but if i had to do it all over again i would go to Utah again.
Also i am close to making a desicison on sending my 14 year old daughter to school in Utah in January so if i do i will be there all week helping out but if she doesnt go i will still be there for the Winter Games but it will be later in the week.
You guys are going to love Skeleton and im glad theres older guys like myself getting into the sport , maybe they need an over 35 class, lol.
HR
slace22

Postby Teej » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:47 am

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it.

As I said in my intro, I've never done competitive athletics but I'm hoping some of the things I've done over the years will help in some way. Obviously nothing I've done will really prepare me for going 75mph with my face 2 inches from the ice, but...several things in my past will still hopefully pay dividends in coordination, sensory overload, etc.

There is a certain percentage of people who, on their first skydive for example, get into total overload / brainlock on a new experience. At least I know I don't fall into that category. I only had 2-3 "stressful situations" skydiving and I'm pretty happy with how I handled them.

Few things teach you the importance and effects of body position like freefall.

Oh great, so I'm going to have to race against people like you and George on saturday? Ringers! :D
Teej

Great advice ... thanks!

Postby skeletor » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:10 pm

Appreciate all the info/advice, guys! I will let you know how things work out. LP would be significantly more affordable for me as I live in Maryland, but like I said ..... I just want to slide this season. HR, semi-pro football at 41 -- my hat tipped to you, sir. Most of my athletic activity took place earlier in life: HS wrestling, track, football followed by powerlifting, bodybuilding in college and within the last 6-7 years completing myriad road races from 5K to marathon distances (Chicago Marathon twice). I'm 90% fast-twitch, so it was only a matter of time before I sought out another activity more suited to my ability ..... and I've pretty much ruled out UFC, so skeleton it is. :twisted:
skeletor

Postby slace22 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:59 pm

You are going to love Skeleton.
Skeletor i love the UFC also but way too old for it, lol, although i do have good grappling skills and have very good submissions and fought alot when i was young but that was many many moons ago, lol.
Teej i have been on a streetluge many times doing around 60mph and i raced go-karts for 10 years but nothing prepared me for Skeleton , the fact that the walls are so close to you makes it feel even faster than it is and once you come out of turn 6 everything happens soooooo fast, you have no time to think all you can do is just react without thinking.
It was probably the last day of class before i really started seeing things , my mind finally caught up with the speed and i started understanding what was going on around me.
When you hit turn 6 after starting from the top of the track , the g's are incredible , 4 to5 g's and your face gets pulled to the ice.
It is an awesome sport .
Here's a blog i posted on myspace about a trip down the track at Utah Olympic Park.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When your standing at the start gate at the track and you get the go ahead to start your run you get butterflies in your stomach because you know for the next 60 seconds your going to get the heck beat out of you.

You start your run and hopefully you get a good push so your time will be faster but it'll also be a scarier run.

You hop on your sled and have to get situated on your sled very fast because turn 1 is coming . Your now laying face down on your stomach on a small but heavy sled and your going face first with your chin about an inch from the ice , as you enter turn 1 its just a small little turn no big deal but you'll only have a few seconds to relax because turn 2 is here and its also very easy and you still have time to prepare for the hard turns to come , turn 3 is also easy but now you have to get ready for turn 4 , as you enter 4 it is u shaped and turns you around very fast , this is the first turn you climb the wall on, going into 4 your probably doing around 25mph but coming out of 4 your going to have about a 100 feet before you hit 6 , turn 5 is easy but turn 6 is coming and from 4 to 6 you'll go from around 25 to almost 80mph in just a few feet and when you hit turn 6 you hit 5g's and your head gets slammed to the ice and your face sheild rubs the ice as you go through at speeds close to 80mph , i myself hit 76.1 in turn 6 , if you think thats bad well coming out of 6 into 7 you will hit hard if you dont enter turn 6 early and when i say hard i mean 80mph hard , i've only hit once out of 6 but i instantly had a migrane , it sucked.

The next few turns 8, 9 and 10 arent too bad although your flying through them so fast its hard to really grasp whats happening , then comes the big one Turn 11 a really fast left hand turn that also slams your face into the ice once again at 80mph, and by now the 5g's in this turn are kicking your butt and your neck is hurting from trying to hold your head up and you cant wait until you cross the finish line , as soon as you exit 11 you have no time for a break because you have to now take a big right hand turn at 80mph and your face gets to clean the ice again and those 5g's are freakin taken there toll on you , exit 12 and get about a 3 second break because 13 isnt bad but now here comes yet another freakin big right hander that once again slams your head down and another 5g's on the body and your neck takes another load , coming out of 14 is a long straight and a relaxing moment but you better not relax too much because that straight isnt as easy as it seems you will get sideways in a hurry and thats not a good place to be when the final turn 15 is coming up , Turn 15 isnt too big but its just akward the way it handles and if your not prepared it'll spit you into the wall when you exit and cross the finish line , yes the finish line its over , whew trust me 3 runs down this track in one day and your finished , it aint easy and it aint smooth like it looks on TV , but i cant wait until the season starts so i can slide again , I LOVE IT so much.

Harold R.
slace22

Postby Teej » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:21 pm

Oh, I so can't wait. ;)

Slowly clocking off the details. Got my physical signed off on...got my confirmation letter today, etc.

Going to be a looooong 9 weeks until class.
Teej

Postby slace22 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:27 pm

I remember how i felt last year and i know your exicted , it will be worth every dime you spend on it.
HR
slace22

Postby Damon » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:29 am

From what I've heard, the LP track is a bit rougher than the PC track.
I've only been on the LP track and I came away bloody after my 4th run from the top. Turn 3 is a killer. Still one of the best times I've ever had though.

Since I missed push and load camp, I'm looking forward to signing up for school in PC. I doubt I can get there in Dec, so I'll most likely see you there in Jan.
Damon

Postby Teej » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:41 pm

Cool. Sounds like we should have quite the the NS crowd there...even if not all "in class".
Teej

Postby Damon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Teej,

You hear of anyone else who signed up? I know there were only 3 skeleton school sessions this season and that is the last one. Everything else is either skeleton intro or fantasy camp.

I'm putting in for my vacation days for January now...

- Damon
Damon

Postby Teej » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:49 pm

I haven't heard of anyone else. All I know is I was the first one to sign up for that class (or probably any other class) for the year and I can't wait :D

T
Teej

Return to General Skeleton Forum