Which is the better way to go?

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Which is the better way to go?

Postby morey027 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:40 pm

I have never particapated in skeleton before and want to try it next winter. I have a question. One can go to USBSF.com and send a athletic resume to them, which if they feel your qualified will invite you to a push camp, then if they like you they can invite you to skeleton school and if you perfom you can get invited into the devo. program.

OR

Go to a camp out in Utah next Januray and take lessons for 4 days, then compete in the Utah State Winter Games. Then see where that gets me?

So any advice on the route to take is welcomed!
morey027

Re: Which is the better way to go?

Postby George » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:58 pm

Perhaps you should send in your resume, and then you can decide if LP gives you an invite. If your numbers don't make the cut, you still have the Utah option. Many who are invited to NY go to UT instead.

It'll be a while before the school dates for next season are posted, but I presume they'll again have a class that ends the day before Utah Winter Games. That's a great time to go, albeit a long wait of 11 months from now, because UWG is a race that caters to newbies.

You're also in MD, which may be a ~15hr roundtrip drive to NY, while Utah is only flying distance of course. Plenty of other stuff to do while in UT; NY is more desolate. UT has a more laidback env't, while NY is more competitive. UT is an easier track for newbies to learn on. Good luck.
George
Site Admin

Postby morey027 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:00 pm

Well I sent out my resume, so I'll let you know what happens
morey027

Postby slace22 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:59 pm

I sent in my resume last year and was invited to LP but went to Utah instead and i can tell you that the people in Utah are awesome , i loved every minute of my time there and even though im on the East coast Utah is my home track, the track itself is awesome.
Welcome to the world of Skeleton your going to love it.
slace22

Postby morey027 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:20 pm

Thanks. I figure that im only 17 so I have alot of time left in this sport.
morey027

Postby HollyBall » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:35 pm

I was in the exact same position that you are in now two years ago. I submitted my resume to NY and was excepted, I went and made their devo team... I then tore my ACL and they immediatly cut me. I then got a call from Utah asking if I wanted to come out there.

NY is very different from Utah in that they dont just let anyone come, Its a rough week doing the school out there, they make you take a physical test, and if you suck they will definitely tell you.

In Utah, almost anyone can attend a school, Ive seen 60 year old men attend schools in utah. you just have to have the money and get a physical from your doctor.

If you are worried that your sprinting is not very fast, I would go to Utah, the coaches out there are much more willing to work with you to improve your times than they are in NY. (actually in NY they wont help you improve your sprinting at all...)

Overall though, I like utah much better than placid, and ive been to several tracks. Utah has nicer people, facilities and better equipment. And its a much nicer place to live.

Hope to see you in Utah sometime!
HollyBall

Postby *Louns*10 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:09 pm

The people in Utah are really nice. I love them. But i got invited to the school in LP and went and loved it. i had a blast. i got invited back but decided that it was to far to go for 2 months this last winter to train, so i went to utah. i say, do the school in LP if you can, then decide whats best for you after. The hardcore training in LP, of the laid back style in utah.
*Louns*10
-Take your victories,whatever they may be,cherish them,use them,but don't settle for them.There are always new,grander challenges to confront,and a true winner embraces each one.
*Louns*10

Postby George » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:35 am

*Louns*10,

Cool to hear you've been able to slide on multiple tracks. And not long from now you can slide on a brand new only several hours from your Yakima WA home--Vancouver BC, Canada.

Indeed, LP is hardcore training while PC (UOP) is very laid back. Although a major reason why I like PC better is that you can do either there; LP isn't so flexible.

- George
George
Site Admin

Postby *Louns*10 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:13 am

George-

that's a very good. point. you can do either in PC and not in LP. its just that some people have an easier time working out to hardcore ethics when they are in a hardcore enviroment. but then again, a hardcore athlete should be able to work to whatever standard they set for themselves no matter what enviroment they are in.

I know, i'm pumped for that track to open. should be tons of fun and i absolutely love the Vancouver Whistler areas.
*Louns*10
-Take your victories,whatever they may be,cherish them,use them,but don't settle for them.There are always new,grander challenges to confront,and a true winner embraces each one.
*Louns*10

Postby SweetHomeAlabama » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:55 pm

*Louns*10 wrote:The people in Utah are really nice. I love them. But i got invited to the school in LP and went and loved it. i had a blast. i got invited back but decided that it was to far to go for 2 months this last winter to train, so i went to utah. i say, do the school in LP if you can, then decide whats best for you after. The hardcore training in LP, of the laid back style in utah.

That sounds like great advice. I attended my first intro-camp in PC this past March and loved it. Actually, for someone from Alabama who's not a regular winter sport participant (until now!), I was in awe of the track and of the sliding experience in general.

I just received an invite to attend a school this upcoming season in either PC or LP. I'm actually leaning toward doing one of the LP schools, so that I can say that I conquered the track there. From all I've heard so far, the LP track is tougher to navigate, but I feel like if I can survive a week of skeleton school in LP, then I will certainly have something to feel great about. I love the track and the people in PC and will definitely be back out there though - I just think that at this point in time, I'll change my scenery up some and lay it on the line in upstate New York.
SweetHomeAlabama

Postby morey027 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:15 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys, I posted tat post like almost 6 months ago. And thats how long it to LP to get back to me. I got accepted into skeleton school! But Im currently the kicker for a college football team and im not sure what NCAA rules say about things like this.

But another problem is since im in college i really just can't go spend the money for the school. So I plan on getting a job in the offseason. I don't think I will be attending skeleton school this year. Although the Utah camp isn't that much money so maybe i'll try that? Any advice?
morey027

Postby HollyBall » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:03 pm

the utah camp usually is cheaper, but it doesn't include living accommodations. try to get email addresses of the other people participating in the school. sharing a hotel room and rental car can lower the cost significantly.
HollyBall

Return to General Skeleton Forum