Too late for Park City camp '07?

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Too late for Park City camp '07?

Postby bryan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:49 am

I was invited to a skeleton school in 2004 when the USBSF recruitment tour came through Texas, but was unable to participate that winter. At the time, college was my main focus and money was hard to come by.
My question is, now that I have the time and money to partake in this adventure, will my invitation still stand? It's my understanding there a two types of camps: one for the general public and one for the serious athlete. How can I enroll in the serious Park City camp in January??
Thanks,
-Bryan
bryan

Postby slace22 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:39 pm

Heres the Park City number 435.658.4208 i'll be there in Jan, 07 , you should just give them a call and ask, let me know what happens.
RH
slace22

Re: Too late for Park City camp '07?

Postby George » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:54 am

Bryan, call the number RH provided above for the UOP Sports Services Desk. Call *right now* to enroll because it's either full or will be filled soon enough. Try for that January class (I think it's the one thru Jan 19th; I think it's the 'serious' class but ask them) that RH and Chase are in. Let us know what happens.
- George
George
Site Admin

Postby bryan » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:28 pm

thanks for your help guys, i registered today for the camp jan 16-19. it sounds like its going to be a busy busy weekend in UT that week. as mentioned in other posts, with the film festival going on, im sure car and hotel reservations will be hard to come by. the lady i spoke with (barbara) advised calling around ASAP for both. RH and whoever else is going to the same camp that wants to pool up together, let's get something started. email me for details.
DiamondMVP11@hotmail.com
-Bryan
bryan

Which camp

Postby Damon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:53 am

Anyone know if there is any big difference between the skeleton school and the (more expensive) fantasy camp offered at Park City? Other than the price that is.
Damon

Postby bryan » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:35 pm

from what I was told, the $1800 camp is more for the experience. barbara, the woman i spoke with, said you get more paraphernalia (jackets, shirts, etc) and its really just to say you did it. she also mentioned that you wont get to do any runs from the top of the track either. barbara advised me to enroll in the 'serious' camp ($600) if i wanted to really get into the sport. sounds like the same scenario for you. best of luck.
-bryan
Last edited by bryan on Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bryan

Postby slace22 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:04 pm

Hey Bryan i have a room with 2 beds and i'll e-mail you with the info after i get through eating .
slace22

Post subject: Which camp

Postby George » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:37 pm

Damon, if you're interested, it'd be neat if you register (before it's too late) for the 1/16-1/19 'serious school,' like the other 3 guys here. If you do, and if I'm in town then (50/50 chance), it'll be like one big newsliders.com party at the race. :)

RH, gold to hear you've got a helmet, even if it needs assembly. In my skel camp, pretty much nobody brought any gear except mouthpiece, padding, and gloves; but it's more laid back than the 'serious' school.

Good luck in school, guys. Keep in mind anything can happen, good or bad--you won't really know 'till you've had several runs. In my unlucky camp of 10, I was among only 5 'survivors' (and it's unpredictable--our most athletic guy quit immediately, both women were successful, and the "old guy" was #1) -- but you guys sound more focused, prepared, and willing to get bruised than some of the camp folks, so that helps. :)

Happy Thanksgiving, I'm offline for several days.
- George
George
Site Admin

Postby slace22 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:40 pm

George that will be cool to meet all you guys there.
I am taking this very seriously and like i have said before im 40 and still playing minor-league tackle football, i was actually a starting wide receiver last year at 39 years old and i have succeded in every sport ive tried BUT sliding down a hill at 60 mph will be ALOT different , i know i will finish the class but you never know if your cut out for a sport until you try , i might get there and totally suck at it , the thing with skeleton is you only have to be an athlete for a few yards at the start , once your on the sled its all mental , atleast im guessing it is.
One more thing im doing is , yesterday i ordered off of e-bay the Salt Lake 2002 game for my computer , it doesnt have skeleton but it has bobsleds and luge so i think i can use that to sort of learn the track before i go , like i said i am taking this serious and hopefully it will pay off but if not atleast i'll have fun.
RH
slace22

Postby bryan » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:33 pm

RH,
Cool deal about the room. Also have you checked out a rental car? Do you think its even necessary for the week? If so i think i can get a sizeable discount on one. I look forward to your email.
-Bryan
bryan

Postby chased » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:33 am

Bryan,
I am also going to the school in Jan. Talking with several people in the area, there is no need to rent a car as traffic will be terrible that week due to Sundance. There are free city buses that run from park city to the olympic park. Just make sure the buses run to your hotel.
Chase
chased

Return to General Skeleton Forum