brusied and battered...

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

brusied and battered...

Postby karen » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:00 am

Calgary skeleton school was great... except a few... bangs into some walls and crashing out of corner 8. All in all the school was run superb. I would recomend it to everyone trying to get in. A huge thanks to Turc and Deanna and all volunteers who picked up my husk (body) at the finish line.

Thanks

Karen and Dieter
karen

Re: bruised and battered

Postby George » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:39 am

I'm glad to hear that the folks at Calgary (including Turc) run a good program and that you recommend it. I've never slid there, but the track is more challenging than Park City UT--perhaps the corner 8 you're talking about is the kreisel exit, which can be a doozy.

Now, you can count yourself among the ~ 0.00001% of the world population who's tried this awesome sport.

At the YouTube link below, there's a "crash video" of my Park City Development Team teammates at the Calgary track below. They were also bruised and battered but had tons of fun. http://youtube.com/watch?v=S_wls7WTtZI

- George
George
Site Admin

Postby karen » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:46 am

Hey,

Corner 8 on the video is where I had the same oooppps... ouch!!! The exit out of corner 8 hurts like hell if you do not come out of it correctly. Going into corner 8 is also tricky, if you mess up it pukes you out onto the straight. My first run from the top, I had a sled that was too short ( being 6 1 ) and I scared myself sooo bad I skidded around the track starting at corner 4 all the way down to the finish... I did not want to take a second run. Jeff Pain sat with me and reasured me that it happens to everyone and I should try again. My second and third run was much better and reached speeds of about 107km. So all in all I did not do too bad. My hips hurt so bad this morning and my husband looks like he was in a bar brawl!! We had alot of fun. Turc runs a great school along with Deanna. We had a slider from New York that came out and he was great. Shared equipment with him and he was hilarious.

Thanks once again to everyone at ASA for helping out and a BIG thank you to Jeff Pain and Deanna Panting for helping me get back on the sled. (Major mental factor when your scared .........!)

I would recomend the school to everyone who is looking to get into this sport, I would just say this FAST FAST FAST!!!!

Lourey, you are wonderful!!! Thank you for smiling and making this weekend fun

Cheers

Karen[/u]
karen

wow!! glad you guys had fun AND i have a question for George

Postby slace22 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:03 pm

wow!!!! im glad you guys had fun , i cant wait until Jan,16th thats when im in Park City for my school and i cant wait for it to get here.
I play minor league football here in Florida and our season doesnt start until after the regular football season ends , we start in Jan through April and my first game of the season is on Jan, 21 a day after i get back from Park City , so im getting in the Utah Bobsled and Skeleton club and the guy i spoke with told me that if i can make two successful runs from the top that i can compete in there club race on the 20th which is one day after my school ends , so its possible that i'll be sliding in freezing weather that Saturday in a competition and then flying home that night and playing football the next day in 70 or 80 degree weather in Florida so that will be one crazy weekend for me , lol, as far as being bruised goes im already bruised up now because we started football practice last week.
So George , im 40 years old and still play tackle football and run a 4.7 in the 40 yard dash (i used to run a 4.5) so at my age knowing that i can still run and IF i happen to pick up skeleton pretty good what chance do i have to ever be successful at Skeleton at my age , im still in great shape , im 5' 10" 170lbs and i have never smoked and drank at all in my life so like i said im still in good shape and have been successful in almost every sport i have tried which includes streetluging , so could someone like me pick up the sport in 3 or 4 years???
RH
slace22

Reply to Karen and RH

Postby George » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:17 pm

Cool, Karen, I'm glad to hear you were encouraged by a pep talk from Jeff Pain, a silver medalist and nice guy. It's great to hear your experience was well worth it (and that you completed the class), despite the battering inflicted by the dreaded turn 8. Neat to hear that Louay, whom you "met" here first, was also there.

RH, sounds like you're athletic, fast, and enjoyed streetluging, all of which helps. With that said, I can't offer any predictions--sliding aptitude varies greatly by individual, and partly depends on intangible mental factors. You won't know 'till you try it.

Regarding your post on the other thread, Scott Jager in Park City (a mentor for me in my rookie season) is indeed most helpful. Well, good luck at skeleton school, I'm sure you're eagerly counting down the days!
George
Site Admin

Postby slace22 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:32 pm

You and your website here and Scott have been the most helpful people to me , your website answered alot of my first questions about the sport and then Scott answered all of my questions about the school , if not for him i wouldnt know what to expect when i got there but atleast i know now.
I actually got into this because i was in love with bobsledding and wanted to try it but i dont weigh enough so i thought i would try skeleton.
Back in 1999 i started e-mailing a guy that had just recently got into bobsledding and i was always asking him questions about it but like i said i dont weigh enough for that so i'll try skeleton out , oh by the way that guy that i became e-mail friends with back in 1999 is bobsled driver Steve Holcomb and i hope he is in Utah in Jan.
Regardless if im good at it or not i'll leave there fullfilling a life long dream of getting on the ice , i fell in love with bobsledding and luge at the age of 14 in 1980 when i watched bobsleds in the Olympics for the first time in my life , it was awesome.
I hope some of my post dont sound like im bragging when i talk about playing football and racing in streetluge comps. im not bragging im just very very excited by all this , as a kid coming from a one redlight town in the south (Florida) with no snow getting a chance to do a winter sport was almost unthinkable so now that i have that chance its just very exciting and i will not be getting any sleep until Jan, 07 , lol and reading Karens post just makes me that much more excited.
Depending on how things workout with me i might try to get my 16-15- and 13 year olds involved next year.
RH
slace22

school in Jan

Postby chased » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:35 pm

RH,
I am also going to the school in January. Have you gotten confirmation on the event on the 20th? I would be interested in competing if the school goes well. Do you know about gear and if it is provided. I emailed Scott Jager but have not heard anything back yet. Look forward to seeing you out there.
Chase
chased

chased

Postby slace22 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:27 pm

Chase i also had a hard time getting a hold of Scott through e-mail and on the phone but once i finally got in touch with him he was very helpful and seemed to be like a real nice guy and seemed to be excited about more people being interested in the sport , Scott told me on the phone that the first day of school we start from the jr. bobsled start and the second day we go from the womens bobsled or luge start and the 3 and 4th days we start at the top , on day 3 we lay on the sled at the top and they push us off but on day 4 we do the running start and he said if you finish 2 of your 3 runs on day 4 on the sled you can compete on the 20th and he also said that they would have sleds and helmets that we can use , also to compete you have to become a member of the Utah bobsled and skeleton club which i think is $25.
I am going to try to compete , i know i'll finish way behind the club members but i dont care about that i just want to get a real competition under my belt and go from there , i was also told that once you have completed the school that you can take extra runs from the top for $10 a run when ice time becomes availible.
Where are you staying at in Park City? I have a room reserved with 2 beds and it would be cool to find someone to share with and split the cost of the room and rental car.
Scott told me that they have a shuttle bus that comes to the place im staying but the people at Best Western said they dont know anything about it.
Anyway it would be cool to chat with you sometime about the school , i cant wait till it starts.
RH
slace22

January class and race

Postby George » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:15 pm

Hey guys. I may see both of you at the race if I visit town then. I won't be in racing shape considering it'll be almost a year since I've touched a sled, but it'll be fun.

It's confirmed--Utah Winter Games race on SAT 1/20 1230-400pm. http://www.utahwintergames.org/sports_skeleton.htm#2 (they have a typo saying 1/20/06)

RH, if you have a game the next day, check flight schedules to ensure you have time to finish the race, get to the airport and arrive in time. Also, the $10 per run isn't the limiting factor--there's always a shortage of ice time so you have to make the most of your allotted times.
George
Site Admin

Postby chased » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:39 pm

Is Scott running the school? I haven't received any information besides when to show up. Do you have the itinerary? I don't know about housing yet, a couple of my friends may be coming up from Colorado but if they dont make it, splitting the costs would be great. I should know by Thanksgiving.

I'm stoked about the school and cant wait. George, hopefully we'll see you out there.
chased

Re: skeleton school itinerary

Postby George » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:00 pm

Chase, Scott is president of the sliding club. He actually isn't connected to the UOP skeleton schools. The UOP sports services desk is the contact for info about the schools. I don't know who the coach will be, it changes every year. And at my skeleton camp, I never received an advance itinerary. Prepare to have fun,
- George
George
Site Admin

Postby slace22 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:54 pm

Chase i didnt receive any itinerary for Park City but i did receive one from Lake Placid because i originally got accepted to that school for Nov,13 but i was a few days late when i went to make my payment and i missed out on it but everything happens for a reason.
The school in Lake Placid pretty much had your whole day worked in from meetings to slidding to sprinting in the gym.

It would be cool to meet you out there George i cant wait to get there.
slace22

You did great Karen

Postby kinglolo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:18 am

It is good to hear from you again Karen. You did great. Even though it is hard to admit that a lady got to beat me, but you did. I was so happy that your first run from the top didn't stop you from finishing your 2nd and 3rd runs. (May be my prayers worked again :lol: )
kinglolo

Postby karen » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:26 pm

Hey Louay!!!

You prayers really helped out. I have done some crazy sports in my day and when I went off the top for the first time I knew I was in trouble. I have never been sooo scared in my whole life. The sled and I were so out of control I knew that it was going to end really bad. Thank you for such a great weekend and especially all your prayers... I really enjoyed my last two runs ( on a long sled) seemed to have a lot more control when entering and exiting corners. I hope that you are going to slide in the ASA races. I would love to see you again!!!

Karen
karen

Postby slace22 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:52 pm

I need to get some pointers on what to expect before Jan. from you Karen.
Im sure my first trip from the top will be very scary.
slace22

Return to General Skeleton Forum