does size matter...

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

does size matter...

Postby xenaracing » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:59 am

Hi!
I am interested in sliding, I live in Calgary, Ab. and I have taken an advanced skeleton school and I am taking my sliding school in the fall.
My question is does size matter... I am 6 1 and 178lbs I read bios of other racers and the women are short and light weight. Am I too big... I asked around here but I was told not to try skeleton and I would be better on bobsleigh... But... I would love to compete in skeleton.
HELP!!!
Thanks
Karen
xenaracing

Re: does size matter...

Postby George » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:32 pm

Hi Karen.

I'm unaware of any specific maximum allowed weights/heights for sliders. So unless track officials stop you, I'd imagine you can slide.

Sliders come in all shapes and sizes. Though in terms of competitiveness, it's a disadvantages if you're very undersized (albeit less so for skeleton than bobsled); I'm less sure about the opposite end of the spectrum. Generally speaking, I'm told it's good to be "densely heavy" -- aerodynamically shaped by being tall and muscular, versus short and flabby.

You've already read the bios of other racers to get an idea for average heights/weights; others wanting do the same can check this link:
http://bobsleigh.wige-data.com/db/searc ... mit=submit
George
Site Admin

Maximum Size

Postby DG » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:02 pm

There is no maximum height or weight. The rules have a maximum weight of 29 kilos for the sled alone. There is no maximum height and there are several very tall and very competitive athletes in the sport ( Ben Sandford NZL 1.99m comes to mind, as does his uncle Bruce who won the WM some years ago).
Susi Erdmann of Germany was a luger before going to Bobsleigh. She is a bit taller and heavier than you, I think. While luge is not Skeleton, I would think that you would still be competitive in skeleton sport.
DG, Calgary
DG

Return to General Skeleton Forum