Feb 8th - Intro course

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Feb 8th - Intro course

Postby jongmharrison » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:41 am

Hi all,

I'm coming over from the UK to do my first Skeleton. I've got a good hotel in SLC booked and a car so if anyone needs cheap accom and a lift then give me a shout.

Looking forward to it.

Jon
jongmharrison

Postby jongmharrison » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:43 am

Forgot to mention, as I'm doing this for a kids charity in the UK, is there any way of getting a helmetcam of any of my runs??

Jon
jongmharrison

Postby HollyBall » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:07 pm

Unless you own your own helmet camera, finding one, or getting someone to actually let you use theirs may be tough. I'm pretty sure that Steve Revelli has one (he is the guy who runs the camps) but I don't know how willing he is to let new people use it.

But, if you bring a video camera, or have a buddy in the camp that has one, someone can film you going by in a couple of curves.
HollyBall

Helmetcam

Postby George » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:22 pm

A helmetcam is a neat idea (and you can see such vids on YouTube), but frankly it's hard to get a hold of one and may not be practical. For example, you may need a pack to hold the recorder unit, wires, lots of tape and/or a tight shirt to hold things down, maybe a permanent mount on a helmet to stick the lens tube in, informing the control tower guys per safety requirements, and convincing someone to let you borrow their expensive helmetcam with the promise it won't be damaged or leave debris that could briefly close the track for a cleanup (unlikely to happen but the track manager, Bulent, said it has once before).

When I talk to the Sports Svcs Desk tomorrow, I'll recommend they start renting out a helmetcam and maybe they will someday. It could be a popular feature, like skydiving lesson helmetcams.

Like Holly said, having a buddy film you while whizzing around a corner would be easier to do and provide cool, albeit brief footage.
George
Site Admin

Re: Helmetcam

Postby Teej » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:09 pm

George wrote:When I talk to the Sports Svcs Desk tomorrow, I'll recommend they start renting out a helmetcam and maybe they will someday. It could be a popular feature, like skydiving lesson helmetcams.

Unless things have changed since I last jumped, they don't put cameras on students. They would have other jumpers fly with the student and those experienced jumpers would have helmet cams.

Students tend to crash land too often and that'd just be one more thing for the lawyers to go after if there was a student accident...
Teej

Postby Bluesky09 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:35 pm

Actually, I overheard this being brought up. If you really want video via helmet, just bring a cam corder and a lot of duck tape. That is pretty much the cheapest way your going to get it done. Other than that, I guess you could go look on the net for one of those pen cams, but that is about it.
Bluesky09

Postby jongmharrison » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:20 am

Sorted. I bought a cheap (but very good) helmetcam that does not need any back pack. It attaches to any helmet securely with a silicon rubber strap.

Youtube here I come :-)

I'm so looking forward to doing this.
jongmharrison

Return to General Skeleton Forum