Utah Winter Games 2008 (almost) here! Helmetcam video.

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Postby George » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:15 pm

So far a couple of you guys (Teej and Kyle) told me you'll be at the skeleton class and the Utah Winter Games 1/26. I look forward to seeing you and anyone else there. I'm told it'll be a much smaller class than last year's 20 folks.

In the meantime, here's a bobsled video of the track, courtesy of Utah Olympic Park. It's in Windows Media (.wmv) format and can be played in slow motion. Study this relentlessly, in slow-mo and real speed.

http://www.newsliders.com/pics/vids/Par ... Camera.wmv

- George
George
Site Admin

Postby George » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:53 pm

And if you guys have any detailed info or an itinerary for the camp, let me know so that I and a couple other volunteers will know when/where to show up.

What's odd is that this year the UWG site hasn't posted a race announcement for skeleton and the USBA has made no announcement either. But I've informally heard that everything is OK for racing at the usual time.
George
Site Admin

Postby Teej » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:09 pm

Yup, just over one week to go before I depart. :D

Back when I signed up, what they told me was:

Check in Tues @ 10

Classes would be Tues, Wed, Thu at 12 - 3:30 and Friday from 9:30 - 1:00. That wasn't even "sent" to me - I got that over the phone. I did get a "confirmation letter" email, but there weren't any more details.

Even back then the UWG race was "unofficially, tentatively confirmed" but no time was given, so I don't even know what time that's supposed to be.

Seems things really got off to a really late start with USBSF / USBA / whatever. And now with Don's departure...
Teej

Postby Teej » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:47 pm

Just got an email back from SS in response to something I'd sent this morning. I mentioned the race and they said they show it on the track calendar for 9AM...

T
Teej

Postby George » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:43 pm

Cool Teej, thanks for the update. I'm arriving mid-day Tuesday and staying through Saturday. See ya soon.
George
Site Admin

Postby mmonico » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:26 pm

yes Don is gone but Tom Raty is the new E.D. and Steve Revelli is helping also, it has been a long month of getting things organized but they are doing the best they can, so be patient, its all going to be better in the long run. And the track schedule will always have some variation, due to other events, weather, training and stuff. Anyway... George it will be good to see ya again and meet others coming out for the school next week.
mmonico

Postby George » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:44 am

Mark, thanks for that update! I'll see ya soon.
- George
George
Site Admin

Postby Teej » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:22 am

Lookin' forward to it, Mark. Champing at the bit here. :D
Teej

Utah Winter Games skeleton

Postby George » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:13 pm

I mentioned earlier I know of two folks who signed up for the skeleton school: Teej plus Kyle (who just registered at this forum). I forgot Damon, another poster here, mentioned a while ago that he was planning to go.

Apparently the class size will be significantly smaller than last year's 20+.

Teej, the tentative class times you listed are unusual. As you can see, a big part of your track time is concurrently scheduled for the T/W/Th UWG mini-clinics: http://www.utahwintergames.org/sports_skeleton.htm Alhough they shouldn't require the whole 4hr block unless lots of folks signed up.
George
Site Admin

Postby Teej » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:37 pm

Well, the gal I talked to said there'd be ~ 1.5 hours class time and then 1.5 on the ice...but then she noticed that added up to 3 hours while she was telling me 3.5 hours.

I ass-u-med it was going to be 1.5 hours instruction, then a "break" while things got set up which would put us on the ice just as the mini-clinics finished up...ie 12:00 - 1:30 for class, break 'til 2:00 (end of mini clinic) and hit the ice....

But that was just an assumption.....
Teej

Postby Bluesky09 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:02 am

George, if you have any influence over there, please get them to change it to a night or afternoon time :). I have classes in the morning, and just missed a week due to the flu. I'm going to have a hard time explaining this to them as well, lol.

Also, do they take pictures or film or anything of us doing this? Or is bringing camera's an "our own deal" thing?
Bluesky09

Postby Teej » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:09 am

Bluesky09 wrote:George, if you have any influence over there, please get them to change it to a night or afternoon time :). I have classes in the morning, and just missed a week due to the flu. I'm going to have a hard time explaining this to them as well, lol.

Also, do they take pictures or film or anything of us doing this? Or is bringing camera's an "our own deal" thing?

Pretty much on your own. Hopefully there'll be a few "significant others" around to work cameras. My wife isn't making the trip with me.

There may (my impression is it has depended on who was in charge at the time and how well planned things were) be footage shot of you for coaching purposes but you probably won't get to keep that.
Teej

Postby mmonico » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:58 am

blue, i can write you a Dr's note for missing class if you need, haha. Well guys and girls sounds like its going to be a fun week.
mmonico

Postby Teej » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:06 am

"Please excuse Kyle from class this week. He's still sick.

Sincerely, Kyle's Mom."

(joke from an old TV show)
Teej

Postby Teej » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:07 am

mmonico wrote:blue, i can write you a Dr's note for missing class if you need, haha. Well guys and girls sounds like its going to be a fun week.

Oh, and by the way I fired off an email to you this AM...dunno if it's an address you normally check or not (whatever you have set here on newsliders as your email)

Feel free to call back - I just didn't want to interrupt you if you were busy.

T
Teej

Postby Bluesky09 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:08 pm

Teachers at my other college weren't this stricked about attendance and all. I never really missed class a lot, but if I was sick it wasn't a big deal. Seems like they make everything out to be a huge deal or something.
Bluesky09

Postby Bluesky09 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:34 am

Actually there seems to be six people attending (according to the email list that was emailed out for all the info on the camp).

Where did you guys get three from (just curious because it may just be that many)?

I guess we'll find out on Tuesday :).
Bluesky09

Postby Teej » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:03 am

I had to call about something else on Friday and at the end I said "Oh, by the way I heard it was a small class..." and she said it was 3...
Teej

Postby Teej » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:02 pm

Bluesky09 wrote:Actually there seems to be six people attending (according to the email list that was emailed out for all the info on the camp).

Where did you guys get three from (just curious because it may just be that many)?

I guess we'll find out on Tuesday :).

Back when I first called up in November they took my name's spelling down wrong and it appears that's the name that the email you refer to got sent to. :x

As I said in email, please send me a copy (although I've emailed back to sport services trying to correct it...)

edit: Been in contact with Steve thanks to Kyle. All good now.
Teej

Postby mmonico » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:42 pm

I think there may be a couple of guys doing the camp that took a one day intro camp. One is a Luge slider.
mmonico

Next

Return to General Skeleton Forum