Hello

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Hello

Postby Teej » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:59 pm

Just another new guy checking in.

Never slid before but hoping to change that this winter.

I've taken my lumps in some other high speed sports and always been interested in the slide sports...but it wasn't until this summer that I actually found out "how" to get involved.

I've slammed into the ground under a horseshoed parachute hard enough that the first guy to get to me looked shocked and said "How the @$^ are you still alive?!" and went asphalt surfing at 50mph from a low-side getoff of a sportbike...so in as much as anyone can be, I _think_ I'm prepared for the bumps, bruises and friction burns of learning to slide..heheheh.

Not that I'm accident prone...the motorcycle slide was due to choosing to take my chances on riding through some gravel in a turn vs trying to go through a deer. I think I made the right call there. The parachute incident was caused by my own mistake.

Don't think my life conditions (live near Milwaukee, WI - 750 miles from LP, 1200 miles from SLC...) are going to allow frequent sliding, but I wanna give it a go. :D
Teej

Postby George » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:26 pm

Welcome to the community. Based on what you said, you've got the right personality to do well in skeleton. Yeah, too bad you're not near a track (which is the case for many of us). If you're desperate, there are two non-regulation *luge-only* tracks in Michigan: one in Muskegon and another in Negaunee/Marquette (which I tried). Luge is far different from skeleton but offers some insight regarding steering on the ice.
George
Site Admin

Postby Teej » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:30 pm

Thanks for the welcome. Seems like a great bunch of people here.

While I certainly don't feel "too old" I am on the old end of people getting into this, I'm sure, in my late 30s. Too bad I never took athletics/physical conditioning seriously until this year. Something mentally snapped with me though and I weigh 10# less than at the beginning of the year and have probably swapped an additional few pounds of fat for muscle...went cardio heavy march through may, then started lifting. I'm no superman by any means but I'm certainly stronger than I've ever been.

I remember as a child flipping past one summer olympics as they were showing weightlifting and that was the last I saw of olympics for a while. My next memory was seeing the '80 winter games in LP (on TV that is)...and it was the bobsledding that really caught my eye. Always wondered (but never enough to really do research) how people got into that. Now I know. Heh.

So now I have to decide where I'm going to go to try it. Leaning towards PC I guess...although I'd just as happily go to LP and the Kreisel at COP would make a lasting memory (and bruise) too. If possible I think I'd rather go for the "school" than the "fantasy camp"...I'd rather learn how to do it right than pretend I'm on the team for a day. Heh. Of course, like everyone else I'm hoping I have a latent talent for the sport but I'm not holding my breath. Heh.
Teej

Postby slace22 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:00 pm

Welcome to Skeleton, i myself am 41 and just started last year and had a blast.
I think the school would be better than going to fantasy camp(cheaper).
I'll be in Utah from Sept,2 thru Sept,8th so if your reading this George i hope to see you there.
Harold R.
slace22

Postby George » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:24 pm

Hey guys. Great, Harold, I'll see you there. I'll be there from the Thursday push session through the Saturday race (and any festivities for the rest of that day).
- George
George
Site Admin

Postby Teej » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:26 pm

Well, I'm working on gaining strength and a few credits in school. Yeah, at my age I haven't graduated yet and it's a bit of a thorn in my wife's (and my own) side, so I'm pluggin' away.

When I get some plans made, I'll let y'all know and hopefully we can meet up.

T
Teej

Return to General Skeleton Forum