Anyone out in PC

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Anyone out in PC

Postby Damon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:50 am

I'm trying to setup a trip to Park City around the first or second week of August. Just wanted to see who would be out there I could talk with to get some more skeleton info and just the general feel for PC. Definitely will be going for a push camp.

Also, anyone know of a specific summer workout routine used for skeleton? I've been following some general lower body explosive power workouts, but of course I'd like to follow something tailored for the sport.

- Damon
Damon

Push Camp/Race in PC

Postby George » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:31 am

Dude, you probably shouldn't book your flight yet. There are plans to try to put together a weeklong push camp capped off by a big push race, probably the week after Labor Day. Either I or somebody else will post the details here once they get worked out, assuming those plans ever materialize.

Generally speaking, power cleans, squats, plyometrics, and sprint training helped my push.

- George
George
Site Admin

Postby slace22 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:15 pm

me and Micah are actually working with Don about the Sept. camp, actually Micah is doing most of it im just helping out a little.
George its looking like im going to be in LP alot this year and since your on the east coast we should get together and go up there sometime.
slace22

Postby George » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:50 pm

Harold,

Cool, I hope you, Micah, and Don work something out very soon. I'm eagerly awaiting word and may be among the out-of-towners who'll attend depending on the timing and other details.

For various reasons, I've sworn off ever sliding at the LP track, but that's just me. If you can get easy access to sliding time closer to home, go for it.
George
Site Admin

Postby Damon » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:07 am

That would be awesome. I need alot more help on my push technique since I only had 1 real day of practice with that at LP. You can tell Don and Micah I would make the trip out there from PA for that.

Thanks for the workout tips George, always appreciated.
Damon

Postby mmonico » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:52 pm

I help Don almost everyday, so as I hear stuff i will pass it along. I know Aug. is a pretty packed month with the young sliders program and stuff.
mmonico

Summer skeleton push camp and race park city

Postby George » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:29 pm

Hey Mark and Harold, heard anything yet? I suppose not, otherwise you would've posted. Micah told me earlier he was hoping to finalize everything by early this week and would email me back after he hears back from Don.

Damon, I told him of your interest and he said he marked you down as the 8th out-of-towner to express interest. So it's safe to say there's plenty of demand for a push camp + race. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear any news!

- George
George
Site Admin

Postby mmonico » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:25 pm

well I think Don just got back today from vacation and I dont know if i will see him before Sat. at the push track. But i will let ya know what i hear as soon as i hear.
mmonico

Big news coming: Summer Push Track Training + Race

Postby George » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:18 pm

After weeks of anxiety, now's time to start getting very excited. I just talked to Micah and Don. Don discussed some tentative details with me, but he said things won't be finalized for several more days and that I should hold off discussing the details until then.

But he said I could share a bit of general info with you guys. As Micah already told me a while ago, it's shaping up to be several days of activity beginning Tue 9/4 (the day after Labor Day) and capping off with a race that Saturday (probably ending mid-day or early afternoon).

Again, stay tuned for an official announcement in several days for the final details.

I now see why planning for it took so long--there are many details to work out and it requires juggling lots of folks' schedules to make it happen. It's gonna be cool.

- George
George
Site Admin

Postby slace22 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:00 pm

I recently spoke to Don also and talked to Micah last week.
I cant wait till September.
You are coming out arent you George?
slace22

Postby George » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:10 pm

Hey Harold. I definitely want to "unretire" to be there, but I don't know yet b/c I'm starting a new job that I technically won't have vacation time for yet. But hopefully I can arrange for enough time off to be there for at least one practice session + the race. I guess this means I should start exercising, which I haven't done at all since UWG in January, lol.
George
Site Admin

Postby slace22 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:26 pm

well start doing some running and unretire.
slace22

Postby George » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:53 am

Also, Micah just mentioned to me: "You might also let anyone you know who is planning to go that a couple of us are going to be goign out early and doing some mountain biking, running, hiking and general horseing around Sunday and Monday prior to the camp."
George
Site Admin

PUSH TRAINING + RACE: It's finally official!

Postby George » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:43 pm

I just got the email! The email text is below; I've uploaded the 3 included attachments for your convenience at http://newsliders.com/temp/PushCampRace2007/
- George

Bobsled & Skeleton Enthusiasts,

The track is clear at the Push Start for YOU!

An exciting new program offering is planned for bobsled and skeleton athletes the week after Labor Day. The Utah Skeleton and Bobsled Association is proud to invite you to attend the first annual “Push & Load in Park City.” This is a multi-day event designed to introduce athletes to the sports of bobsled and skeleton, while providing more experienced sliders the opportunity to hone their push start abilities in a competitive format.

More than just a Summer Push Track Competition, Push & Load in Park City will provide an Evaluation Day for US National Team members to complete their off season evaluation testing requirements. For new athletes, the Evaluation Day is an opportunity to demonstrate their athleticism to US Bobsled & Skeleton Federation coaches and staff who look to events such as this to identify new talent for future development. Push & Load in Park City will also feed athletes’ head with a Seminar Day designed to provide a thorough overview of what every new and developing bobsled and skeleton athlete should know. Then on Race Day athletes put it all together to compete in the 2007 Bobsled & Skeleton International Push Competition—a competition where the sports’ national governing bodies from around the world have been invited to participate and all other sliders can compete in an “Open” category.

For our non-sliding members and friends, The Bobsled Biathlon will challenge your physical abilities too! Climb Olympic Parkway on your road or mountain bike to the Finish Dock, then run up inside the Bobsled Track and back down the service road to the Finish Line at the Finish Dock (how apropos!).

See the attached documents for more information about Push & Load in Park City and an application to participate. For those of you traveling from out of town, there is discounted hotel and car rental info included too!

The USBA welcomes the Bobsled and Skeleton community to participate in this exciting event as we look to get pumped up for another great year of sliding!

Thanks!

Don

Don Croce

Executive Director
George
Site Admin

Return to General Skeleton Forum