Helmet

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Helmet

Postby yentna » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:31 pm

George, a thought just crossed my mind...

You said you ordered a large Jofa - do you want to try my large out before you modify the one you're getting? That way, if it turns out to be too big (I think it may turn out to be), you can return yours for a smaller size without them arguing about any scratches or whatnot you put on if you had tried yours out.

Otherwise, and this is me stepping out on a limb, if the large DOES happen to turn out to be the right size for you, maybe you could save money by buying mine from me (I got mine on sale and would pay you the difference), then returning yours for a smaller size for me. I know, I know, it's very forward of me, but still it's worth a shot since it's too big for me. I tried on Lindsey's medium last night and it was a perfectly - well, very snug but will work better - fit. Otherwise, I just have to wait and see if there are any new sliders in the upcoming school that have big enough heads that want to buy it. Grin.

Either way, let me know if you want to try mine out. It is the Jofa large with the chin guard, the same one you ordered; we've put a face shield on it and a motorcycle breath guard in it to prevent fogging too. And either way no pressure... It was just an idea I had last night. I have other options for selling it if need be.

Talk to you soon, and see you friday.

Kimber
yentna

Re: Helmet

Postby George » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:11 am

Hi Kimber!

Ah, helmets.

In tonight's sliding session all the Size L club helmets were gone so I grabbed an XL. BIG mistake!

The oversized helmet popped off on curve 7 and I was totally blind until the 10-11 straightaway, when I decided to break the cardinal rule of sliding -- I took my hand off the handle to pull the helmet back down. Best of all, this maneuver was caught on videotape--all of us sliders were roaring with laughter reviewing it.

My Jofa will arrive any day now. I ordered a specially designed "skeleton visor" for it from Shields I-Pro (http://www.shieldsipro.com/pages/883439/index.htm). I will compare the Jofa to my new Z-1 skydiving helmet and select one as my regular and keep the other as a backup (before eventually selling it).

So your plan probably won't work, only because I won't send a second Jofa back (I feel guilty after RR spent much time advising me with my purchase and already did one exchange). So, yeah, your best bet (assuming you can't send back your L for a M) would be to sell to a new slider, as you suggest. After the Olympics next month, there should be a gazillion new folks looking for equipment. As a selling point, you can mention star sliders (Lyndsie Peterson, Ryan Geertsen, etc) have done well with Jofa. And that the Jofa 2400 (and the older, heavier Jofa 2500) is apparently (currently) the only readily available helmet in the USA that comes with a full-size skeleton chinguard. I discovered this the hard way after calling/visiting dozens of retailers and manufacturers.

See ya soon,
- George
George
Site Admin

How to buy a helmet...

Postby karen » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:11 pm

Hey George,

Could you please tell me where can I buy a really good helmet. I read that you ordered a Jofa, do you get a chin guard with it or is that a seperate purchase. I have seen these Z-1 helmets but I am not quite sure what I am looking for... Help!

Thanks
Karen, Calgary
karen

Re: How to buy a helmet

Postby George » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:13 am

Hi Karen. Finding a helmet is a huge pain b/c you need a ski helmet, visor, and chinguard. I spent so much time contacting ski shops, distributors and manufacturers including Carrera, Uvex, etc. There's really nothing out there.

As a last resort I bought the Z-1 skydiving helmet, despite my reservations about the absurd price (around $250+ USD) and lack of sturdiness. But it has worked well for me, is lightweight, and is totally integrated: a helmet, handy flipdown visor, and built-in chinguard. It's also the most popular model among sliders on the national team. Places to get it: slideskeleton.com (site currently down), http://unfeathered1.stores.yahoo.net/z1.html

The Jofa 2400 comes with a chinguard (but no visor). The helmet runs a size too big (I should've ordered a M instead of a L) but is now sold out:
http://www.reliableracing.com/detail.cf ... egory=3304 Whenever a slider discovers a helmet/chinguard combo (like I did with this one), it usually sells out soon afterwards. You can try emailing donna [@] reliableracing.com to see what similar items they have.

Or keep an eye out on ebay (search for skeleton + helmet, or helmet + chinguard). The problem is that chinguard has to be a certain size (hard for me to describe); the vast majority of chinguards are too small. Good luck.

- George
George
Site Admin

Postby yentna » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:05 pm

Not to undermine George's advice, but I'd stay away from the Z1s. They may end up being banned anyway after what happened last season. Two people I know had problems with them, plus I heard rumors of other issues.

One girl had her Z1 helmet fall off (since it's just a drawstring on the back holding it on, and not very securely at that) and finished her run with the helmet barely balanced on the top of her head, doing no good for her safety. And another kid crashed and had his helmet break open and cut into his face pretty badly, getting eye damage. They are really too lightweight and have no heavy foam padding, meaning just the fluffy stuff, none of the hard stuff like a bike helmet. Very fragile. They also don't protect the back of your head at all, i.e. the part of your brain where your vision center is, and other vital processes. You don't get much for the price. Anyway, be careful is all. Just my two cents.

The Jofa worked well for me, after some fitting issues. You need to find a ski race helmet with a wide chin guard, then you can make your own visor using a shop guard, motorcycle guard, or plain plexiglass. If you need help with it, let me know and we can give you some advice or help you if you are nearby (Park City).

Carrerra brand works well also.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
yentna

Re: How to buy a helmet

Postby George » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:14 pm

Hey Kimber! Wow, I didn't hear of that person getting eye damage, that's worrisome.

Indeed, these helmets are designed for skydiving rather than skeleton, so protection is limited. I know our coach and the Park City track manager really dislike these things and I've heard rumors it may someday be banned. But I decided to risk it after being unable to find a good alternative in time. Unless manufacturers make skeleton-friendly helmet/chinguard/visor combos widely available, this skydiving helmet will continue to be the most popular model among sliders despite its serious shortcomings in safety and affordability.

Karen, your best bet--pending availability--is probably a Jofa helmet, only available through Reliable Racing. Check out this link: http://reliableracing.com/searchresults.cfm?search=Jofa Before ordering, email donna [@] reliableracing.com to make sure you get a skeleton-sized chinguard in addition to the helmet. A visor might be available separately there as well.

- George
George
Site Admin

Postby karen » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:46 pm

Thanks for the info regarding the helmet issue, I roadraced motorcycles for years and the protection of a helmet is really key, I dont mind spending 290.00 + on a helmet but it is nice to know what is durable out there on the market. I checked out the Jofa web page and I am going to look into it. I am going to Switzerland in 5 weeks so I am going to check out if they have anything that will work. Thanks once again for the info this message board is valuable source for sliders.

Now if only I could get a hold of someone at the club... if anyone is from Calgary and know when the training seadon begins again, I heard mayby in July when the Ice house opens please leave a post. That would be sweet!

George thanks

Karen
karen

Helmet, Canada

Postby George » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:57 pm

Karen, skeleton is much more popular in Europe so your idea to check out helmets in Switzerland is worth a try.

As for Calgary's training season, I don't have the answer but I know where to find it. Ask Turc Harmesynn to be put on the club's mailing list if you haven't already. I got the latest email from him today on the opening of the Ice House (you can probably chat with club members for more info during ice house practices):

===

= = = Original message = = =

Hello Everyone

The Ice House is know open!!!
ASA has again booked the Ice House for our members use through out the
summer.
Thursday evenings 7-8pm and Sunday's 1 - 2pm.
The cost to you is only $30 for about 40 ASA bookings, so come out and use
the time.
Please verify the times by calling the ice house before you go. Several
dates have been taken by BCS bookings however ASA has tried to keep our ice
time consistent.
Call the ice house at 247-5490 to make sure ASA has a session booked.

There will be an ASA sled in the Ice House for members use, and ASA has pin
spikes for your track shoes. We have a bunch in stock however they are in
bulk and not boxes, so now you can now by them in sets of 20 spikes for $5
(.25/spike same as before)

Hope to see you at the AGM this Friday evening 7pm Four Points Sheraton,
across from COP.

Turc Harmesynn
turc [@] albertaskeleton.ca
Alberta Skeleton Association
140 - 88 Canada Olympic Road S.W.
Calgary, Alberta
Canada  T3B 5R5
(403) 815-3434
www.albertaskeleton.ca
===
George
Site Admin

Postby slace22 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:00 am

George why cant you where a bobsled type of helmet , im sure because of the size but i was just wondering if there are some sort of rules for the helmet or something.
RH
slace22

Re: helmet

Postby George » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:16 pm

Hey RH. Yeah, bobsled helmets are way too large. I believe the skeleton rulebook discusses helmets, though I'm not sure what the specifications are. Regarding your other post, cool to hear you know Steve Holcomb, USA's top bobsled driver. And asking your kids to try skeleton (or the winter multi-sport camp there) sounds like a good idea.
George
Site Admin

Return to General Skeleton Forum