Skeleton School v. Fantasy Camp -

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Skeleton School v. Fantasy Camp -

Postby SweetHomeAlabama » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:49 am

Can anyone explain the difference in the skeleton school at Park City and the Fantasy Camp? I've noticed that the school is $600.00 and the camp is $1,800.00. Why such a huge difference in fees?

(I'm also still waiting for someone to give me some feedback for my motion sickness question!)
SweetHomeAlabama

Postby slace22 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:47 pm

Fantasy camp cost more because its for almost anyone that wants to try the sport out .
To go to skeleton you have to be invited by the USBSF , go to there website and fill out a athlete resume and hope you get invited.

George , the founder of this website actually went to the fantasy camp and i have no clue why because he has a very good push start so i know he's a good athlete.
I myself went to skeleton school.
My advice is fill out the resume and if you dont get invited then go the way of the fantasy camp , trust me i didnt get invited for a few years.
If you attended the half day camp you might get an invite if you fill out the resume for skeleton school and another good way to get an invite is to attend the summer push camp and that will usually get you an invite to skeleton school.
I may be wrong and if i am maybe George will give you the correct advice BUT i think its easy to get into the summer push camp.
RH
slace22

Postby mmonico » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:16 pm

you can go to a skeleton school in PC for $600 and its not by invite only, i dont think. The sumer push camp is open to anyone, and you can go to a summer push session any sat. during the summer and its free. Its like from 8-10 in the morning.
mmonico

Postby slace22 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:15 pm

Unless they have just changed things it was by invite only.
The summer push camp is an easy way to get an invite.
slace22

School -

Postby SweetHomeAlabama » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:04 am

My understanding is that the Skeleton School in Park City is for anyone who pays the $600.00 registration fee before the program fills up. In other words, you don't have to be invited.

My big question is how is the school different from the fantasy camp as far as the things that you get to do?
SweetHomeAlabama

Postby Damon » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:49 pm

Well I can speak to the fantasy camp up in Lake Placid. They let us train right along with all of the other athletes. Provided we showed improvement as we went along, there wasnt anything that was off limits. By our third day, we were sliding from the top of the Lake Placid track, which from what I hear, is a little rougher than the PC track. It was an awesome experience I must say.
Damon

Skeleton School v. Fantasy Camp

Postby George » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:40 am

Thanks Harold, yes I'm a good push athletes, but as for why fantasy camp vs school…

I discovered skeleton one day while websurfing at the end of the season. So the only reason why I chose fantasy camp instead of the schools was because the schools were already done for the year. Yeah, skel school would've better b/c the price is more reasonable, not to mention fantasy campers tend to have only recreational types trying it while on a Utah vacation--so I probably would've had greater challenge and feedback in a school. Nonetheless, it great fun. I can't explain the big price difference, but I think maybe we got more slides (our camp had 10 folks vs like 20-25 for the latest school), more face time with national team members, and more stuff like post-sliding snacks/desserts and USBSF sweaters or jackets.
George
Site Admin

Return to General Skeleton Forum