Motion Sickness -

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Motion Sickness -

Postby SweetHomeAlabama » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:40 pm

I've been meaning to post this since March but I keep forgetting until now. When I did the intro-camp back in March in Park City, I became nauseated and very dizzy after my three runs down the track. This was no doubt from the G's from the quick twists and turns from the track. Has anyone else experienced this? (I guess this a similar principle to how some military jet fighter pilots get sick in their early training.) I'm planning on doing the skeleton school this coming season and I don't want this motion sickness mess to hamper me. I wonder if using one of the over-the-counter motion sickness medications would help?

Any feedback that any of you can give me will be appreciated.
SweetHomeAlabama

Postby slace22 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:11 pm

If you think the g's are bad now just wait until you go from the top , its ALOT faster and the g's are incredible .
I myself was ok on every run except for when i would get up off my sled , i would have to get up slowly because i would get a little dizzy for a few seconds after climbing off my sled.
I dont know how to prevent this.
RH
slace22

Postby SweetHomeAlabama » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:15 pm

slace22 wrote:If you think the g's are bad now just wait until you go from the top , its ALOT faster and the g's are incredible .
I myself was ok on every run except for when i would get up off my sled , i would have to get up slowly because i would get a little dizzy for a few seconds after climbing off my sled.
I dont know how to prevent this.
RH

I was the same way. I was fine during the slides but when I stood up from the sled, I felt dizzy for a couple of minutes. I'll just take some Dramamene next time and suck it up!
SweetHomeAlabama

Re: Motion sickness

Postby George » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:12 am

Hey Ward, I've been waiting to hear more about your skeleton adventure. Harold's right, you'll experience even more G forces from the top.

Sorry to hear about that. Thankfully I've never had motion sickness or significant dizziness from skeleton. I do get a bit dizzy coming out of Turn 14 for a few seconds, but nothing lasting.

For motion sickness during travel, I take Meclizine HCL (http://www.drugstore.com/qxp44341_33318 ... ablets.htm ), which works like a charm. Or Bonine, which apparently has the same active ingredient and is easier to find in stores. In terms of effectiveness versus side effects (a little drowsiness), it's generally considered to be better than Dramamine.

Regarding nausea, the only other thing I can think of is not to eat a big meal (esp. if you get gastric acid reflux) right before you take your one-minute headfirst plunge. Also to focus your gaze a turn ahead rather than staring at the blur of ice whizzing immediately underneath you. The only other thing is to make sure you have normal blood pressure and aren't susceptible to dizziness whenever suddenly standing up ("orthostatic hypotension").

P.S. I'm not a skeleton doctor but I play one online at NewSliders.com! :)
- George
George
Site Admin

Return to General Skeleton Forum