Skeleton license -

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Skeleton license -

Postby SweetHomeAlabama » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:24 am

Is there such thing anymore as a skeleton "license"? In reading Robie Vaughn's book, he refers a few times to earning his license by completing a skeleton school in Calgary. What this license appeared to be used for was enabling a slider to use any skeleton/bobsled track in North America. Is this still the case and if so, how does someone earn a license today?

I'm getting really pumped up for my trip to Park City for the intro-camp on March 3rd. I hope there's a good group of participants who'll be joining me.
SweetHomeAlabama

Re: Skeleton license -

Postby George » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:51 pm

I've also read about 'skeleton licenses' but I don't know anything about them. After graduating at Park City, I just got a graduation certificate and my name was placed on the list of approved sliders for that track. I haven't slid elsewhere.

Good luck at the camp and let us know how it goes.
George
Site Admin

Postby slace22 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:56 pm

yes good luck at the camp dude your going to have a blast.
Hey George im having withdrawal symptoms, lol, i need to slide.
slace22

Skeleton withdrawal symptoms

Postby George » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:56 am

Dude, if you think you've got it bad, I have *big-time* withdrawal, after reluctantly retiring before the Western Regionals. I really wanted to slide for that, and I would've done well. The results, and photos of everyone having tons of fun, have just been posted to www.utahice.org by my teammate & webmaster whiz Nick Vienneau. I'm so jealous of those guys. But I'm too far away for it to be practical anymore...but then again the folks in this forum are disproportionately from the Southeast (Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, etc), light-years away from any track.
- G
George
Site Admin

USBA website

Postby George » Thu May 24, 2007 1:40 pm

FYI, in case you haven't heard, the Utah skeleton site relaunched (at the same URL) www.utahice.org . It looks fancier but not much new content and in fact they removed links to the photo album (probably the best part of the site, in my opinion). One person tells me they'll eventually try to add it back in; in the meantime, you can access the photo album at http://utahice.org/cpg/
George
Site Admin

SweethomeAlabama

Postby slace22 » Thu May 24, 2007 5:45 pm

Hey SweethomeAlabama , since you went to the March school in Utah and since im from Florida i was wondering who is the girl in the Florida Gator shirt in all the pics from that school , i was just wondering because i doubt there are very many sliders from here in Florida and i would like to know them all.
Its weird but in my school last January we had 3 from Florida and also Rob Murray who was a big time slider until he retired is from Florida but us 4 are all i know of.
Harold R.
slace22

Re: SweethomeAlabama

Postby SweetHomeAlabama » Fri May 25, 2007 10:30 pm

slace22 wrote:Hey SweethomeAlabama , since you went to the March school in Utah and since im from Florida i was wondering who is the girl in the Florida Gator shirt in all the pics from that school , i was just wondering because i doubt there are very many sliders from here in Florida and i would like to know them all.
Its weird but in my school last January we had 3 from Florida and also Rob Murray who was a big time slider until he retired is from Florida but us 4 are all i know of.
Harold R.

I actually did the intro-camp in March (not the full fledged school), so I didn't meet the Gator girl. :)

I'm going to do the skeleton school this coming season.
SweetHomeAlabama

Postby slace22 » Sat May 26, 2007 9:04 am

oh ok.
Well you'll love the whole school because its awesome.
The run from the top is sooooo much more faster than from the lower starting points on the track , who knows maybe i'll be in Utah when your up there.
slace22

skeleton license, there is such a thing!

Postby HollyBall » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:19 pm

There is such thing as a skeleton license! To compete in an international competition (americas cup and up) or to travel to other tracks outside of north america (canada is usually pretty chill about the not having a license) you must have a FIBT license proving that you are a competant slider. Im pretty sure you have to have been to at least two tracks to qualify for a license, and to get one you have to enroll in an FIBT bob/skeleton school, the instructors will decide if you are good enough to recieve a license.

Im getting mine in a couple of weeks!
HollyBall

Re: skeleton license, there is such a thing!

Postby SweetHomeAlabama » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:18 pm

HollyBall wrote:There is such thing as a skeleton license! To compete in an international competition (americas cup and up) or to travel to other tracks outside of north america (canada is usually pretty chill about the not having a license) you must have a FIBT license proving that you are a competant slider. Im pretty sure you have to have been to at least two tracks to qualify for a license, and to get one you have to enroll in an FIBT bob/skeleton school, the instructors will decide if you are good enough to recieve a license.

Im getting mine in a couple of weeks!

There might possibly be more than one type of license. For example, I've now learned that if you complete the skeleton school at Calgary, you receive a skeleton license which allows the license holder to slide at Calgary thereafter (I'm not sure if it applies to other tracks).

The FIBT might also separately issue licenses at their schools as well.
SweetHomeAlabama

Postby HollyBall » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:03 pm

the license they are talking about in that book is not the local license, those are really easy to get. the FIBT license is more of a big deal. It is required to go to other tracks outside of your country to slide, its green and kind of feels like rubber, it has to be signed by a doctor, some national federations may give them out, im not sure of Canada's protocols on hosting FIBT schools, but in the US they arent held very often.
HollyBall

Return to General Skeleton Forum