Relocating to a track

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Relocating to a track

Postby George » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:12 pm

I know 3+ skel school folks who are probably moving to Utah, plus many more people at other tracks throughout the world. LOL, I'm not surprised, this is an addictive sport.

Just give it a LOT of thought--write down your reasons, long-term, and short-term goals, effects on family/employment/school, etc--before making such a major life decision. Because ice time is limited (and theoretically you're always just one hamstring tear or broken ankle away from a lost season), be sure you know what else you'll be doing in Utah and make contingency plans if things go awry. I'm not trying to scare anybody, just protecting you from any unrealistic hopes. Try reading Ori Hoffer's blog (in chronological order). Every 4 years, around 100 athletes in this country seriously pursue Olympic dreams, but only 2-3 men and 1-2 women succeed. It requires talent, hard work, and lots of perserverance. It all ultimately depends on your goals (a few folks slide recreationally rather than aiming for the Olympic or national teams).

Also think about finances--development team fees, equipment, etc, add up to really big $$$.

But I understand--it's almost impossible to become a serious slider if you're not within driving distance of a track during the season. Best of luck to you all.
George
Site Admin

Postby SweetHomeAlabama » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:38 pm

That's good advice George. I'm heading out to Park City for the March 3rd intro camp. This will be my first time getting to experience skeleton. I for one won't be making any permanent move to Utah but if I enjoy my time at the intro camp, I'll probably head back out next season for the skeleton school. I'm probably the only person in Alabama who knows what skeleton is (other than Vonetta Flowers who's from Alabama and won gold in bobsled in '02), and folks who I've told about my trip to Utah on March 3rd think I'm nuts! :lol:

I'm enjoying reading the book Headfirst, written by Robie Vaughn. If anyone hasn't yet read it, you need to! From the first chapter ownward, my heart started racing whenever Vaughn began describing his first experiences with the sport and taking a track for the first time on his sled.[/u]
SweetHomeAlabama

making a move

Postby chased » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:48 pm

Alabama, no one in North Carolina knows what it is either, but you'll have a blast at the intro. George, we all appreciate your concerns, but if it will leave your mind at ease I have a contingency plan.

"Everybody dies, not everbody truely lives"

Chase
chased

Return to General Skeleton Forum