Excited about school

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Excited about school

Postby karen » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:04 pm

I have not seen any posts here in some time... I thought everyone maybe sliding these days and getting ready for the season. I am excited to say that my husband and I got into the sliding school in Calgary for Nov3-5. It is our X-mas present to each other and I hope we will have lots of fun. I hope everyones season starts off with a bang and everyone makes the teams they are striving for!!!!

Thank you very much for everything and all the help this past year... Maybe we will bump into you in Calgary.

Thanks

Karen :shock:
karen

Re: Excited about school

Postby George » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:36 pm

Congrats Karen, have fun! The season is indeed getting underway. Although there may be limited posting here until the next Olympic cycle, I have exchanged emails with a few folks lately who've signed up for skeleton schools and they're excited as well. You're welcome for the help. I'm pleased to see the ranks of our sport growing substantially larger this year.
George
Site Admin

I'll be with you Karen in the same course :)

Postby kinglolo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:13 am

Karen,
I'm (Louay) taking the same course with you. I'm so excited, especially after trying luging in the same track last year.

Looking forward to meeting you..

I'll race ya ;)

Louay :)
kinglolo

have fun

Postby *Louns*10 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:58 am

if its like the one i went to last year in Lake Placid, you'll have tons of fun. i love it and cant wait to go back this winter for development camp.

Kelsey
*Louns*10
-Take your victories,whatever they may be,cherish them,use them,but don't settle for them.There are always new,grander challenges to confront,and a true winner embraces each one.
*Louns*10

Postby Damon » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:39 pm

Since I missed out on signing up/ trying out for any of the November camps, does anyone know if there are additional camps in the upcoming months? Or at the very least, if I can just drive up to Lake Placid to see what the training involves. With the USBSF kind of imploding this last year, I didnt want to drop $2k to them for a camp and then have it go up in smoke. I've been trying to get into skeleton for about 2 years now but info has been hard to come by.
Damon

Damon try Utah

Postby slace22 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:38 pm

Damon i just got into Skeleton school in Park City that starts in Jan, 07 you should try them.
I cant wait to slide.
RH
slace22

Skeleton classes

Postby George » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:25 pm

Good to see all of you sliders posting. Let us know how your adventures turn out.

Damon--as RH suggested, Park City UT has classes, as does Calgary (my FAQ links to both). Both parks are friendly to newbies. As for Lake Placid NY--as you're painfully aware by now--it's remarkably difficult to get detailed info from them on how to sign up for any intro camps/classes, unless you're already on the national team or a top prospect (for the latter, their site has instructions for submitting an athletic resume for future consideration).

That closed nature toward the outside world is why I call LP a "phantom track."
- George
George
Site Admin

Postby Damon » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:41 pm

Thanks for all the info. Between this site and the people on the forums here, I've gotten more information than from any other place the last 2 years. I was hoping to find something for Lake Placid just because its closer to me, thus easier to get there. Ah well, looks like I'll be making a trip west sometime then.
Damon

Lake Placid Skeleton Track

Postby George » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:50 am

Hey Damon. I'm glad to hear that my site and forum have been so helpful. Yeah, I sympathize with your plight over the past 2 years--I'm among the many folks who live closer to the LP track in NY, but fly to Utah just to slide.

I hope you can make it out to Utah (or Calgary) at least once! On a brighter note, while it's hard to get lessons in LP, once you're trained/certified elsewhere, then you can actually get some sliding done in NY. I've learned they'll probably open the track a bit around March-May for club sliders.

Best of luck,
- George
George
Site Admin

Lake Placid

Postby slace22 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:31 pm

I actually sent in my resume for the Lake Placid school and got invited to attend there school in this month but Steve Peters in his e-mail to me told me it had to be paid by the 29th of October and when i called him on the 24th he said i was to late that the cutoff date was the 23 of October and he apologized for the mistake so i called Utah and they took me in , if you go to http://www.utahice.org/ and e-mail the guy there he will give you a call and explain alot of what the schooling is about in Park City.
The best info i have got so far has been on this site and the guy from that site , his name is Scott Jager and he answered every question i had over the phone and trust me i had alot of questions , im from Florida so skeleton is really different for me so i needed alot of questions answered and he answered them.
RH
slace22

Return to General Skeleton Forum