Spikes...

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Spikes...

Postby karen » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:54 pm

I have been looking for a pair of track spikes and I really dont know what I am looking for. If someone knows of a brand that has worked for them could you let me know. There are different brands that I have looked at like Adidis and Nike, and also if I am suppost to be looking for sprinting or a middle distance spike.

Cheers

Karen
karen

Re: Spikes...

Postby George » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi Karen. People use a wide variety of spikes, both the sprint and middle distance kind. Some folks also use the bobspikes used by bobsledders (extremely expensive and hard to find, though required at the international-competition level).

Before starting skeleton, I already had multi-event/middle distance spikes (Asics Hyper MD) for track & field, so I've just used those.

Just keep in mind you'll often be "dropping a toe" onto the ice at 70+ mph, which will soon tear holes. So, avoid the few sprint spikes that have those fancy aerodynamic cloth covers (which will just rip off) and definitely get a tube of shoe goo to form a protective coating.

As for what kind of metal spikes to screw in, folks use a wide variety of lengths (1/8" to 5/16") and types (pyramid vs needle). I prefer 3/16" (5mm) needles.

- George
George
Site Admin

Return to General Skeleton Forum