steering the sled

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

steering the sled

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:40 pm

I was looking for a detailed article on how the sled is steered. I had thought that maybe the runners were toed in slightly and that steering was done with weight transfer.

Re: steering the sled

Postby George » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:43 pm

Hi. What you're looking for -- a detailed article about skeleton steering -- doesn't exist.

In a nutshell, applying friction alters direction.

The two runners along the sled's underside are in contact with the ice. You can apply asymmetrical pressure to them through one or more pressure points (i.e. your knee or shoulder). Though a mere turn of the head is sometimes all it takes. Or you can drop a toe directly onto the ice.
George
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:54 am

thanks for the reply. So in a left turning corner, weight on the lower runner would put the sled lower on the curve and weight on the upper runner would put the sled higher on the curve. Next time I'm in Calgary I guess I'll have to give it a try. I see that they have courses available there.

Re: steering the sled

Postby George » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:35 pm

Hi. What you said is correct as far as the *lower body* is concerned--applying pressure via left knees or dropping a left toe to keep your sled down in a leftward turn. But to confuse the matter, the opposite is true with the shoulders.

For the shoulders and head, you simply "look to where you want to go." In other words, in your left turning corner, you would turn your head to the left--and your right shoulder naturally follows. So, if you put it all together, your body (upper vs lower) actually twists in opposite directions.

Hope that helps.
George
Site Admin

Postby darrell » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:05 pm

Yes, I think I am getting the picture now. :idea:
darrell

Return to General Skeleton Forum