Remainder of Park City 2009 Schedule; Utah Winter Games

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Remainder of Park City 2009 Schedule; Utah Winter Games

Postby George » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:14 pm

The Utah Olympic Park schedule shows a few more clinics and classes for the next couple of months, before the season ends.

The Utah Winter Games "Learn to Skeleton" clinic is Wed. Jan. 21st. I haven't heard anything about a Utah Winter Games race, but there's normally one on the Saturday morning after the clinics. Assuming there is one this year, it'll be great fun -- a good mix of experienced sliders and first-timers.

George
George
Site Admin

Re: Remainder of Park City 2009 Schedule; Utah Winter Games

Postby Damon » Fri May 15, 2009 8:45 am

Did they ever put together a Utah Winter Games race? Overall skeleton info was a little thin this past season with a few key people moving on to other things...
Damon

Postby Teej » Fri May 15, 2009 11:17 am

I'm sure the economy didn't help, although the fact that this past season was 3 years from the last olympics surely didn't help either. I suspect fall 2010 will be a big year - by then the economy will probably be improved and there'll be a recent olympics spiking interest.

I'm still mad as hell I couldn't get back this season - I was on a project at work that was aggressive enough that I couldn't take the week off for the one full class they had...and then shortly after that the project got cut. And then I got laid off.

It still bothers me that I wasn't able to finish my class due to my ribs. At my age and not having been a lifelong athlete I know I'm not exactly the future of the sport, but it's something I really want to do.
Teej

Postby George » Sun May 17, 2009 5:01 pm

Indeed, it seems there were no Utah Winter Games or Push n' Load races, due partly to the lagging economy and less interest during the trough year of the 4-year Olympic cycle. Interest will explode leading up to next February's Games. I'll sprucen up this website when the season starts up. Here are some race results from the Utah Olympic Park website.

There will be many new sliders in the next couple of years and I think it's great that a new track is now open at Vancouver. Teej, sorry to hear about your job, I'm sure you'll have other opportunities to get some more sliding in.
George
Site Admin

Postby Damon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:33 am

It appears from the Park City website there are alot of programs available for the summer. Also appears they will have things lined up for the winter as well.
Damon

Postby George » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:05 pm

Damon wrote:It appears from the Park City website there are alot of programs available for the summer. Also appears they will have things lined up for the winter as well.

Indeed, Damon. The Utah Olympic Park site shows ongoing activities for the Summer 2009 Push Track, including the Western Regional Push Track Championships on Aug. 29, 2009. There is also general info on the Winter Development program.

And to update our earlier discussion, it appears there indeed was a Utah Winter Games race for skeleton & bobsled on Jan. 24, 2009. Here are the results.

- George
George
Site Admin

Return to General Skeleton Forum