Sorry for problems with spam & forum autoregistration

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Sorry for problems with spam & forum autoregistration

Postby George » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:16 am

Sorry about the brief wave of spam, which I promptly erased. I'm quite disappointed with this phpbb forum software -- I get hit by an infinite volume of spam registrations/posts (like 1,000 weekly!).

That's why I turned off autoregistration and posted several prominent warnings to contact me for registration. Alas, nobody ever reads those warnings, judging by the many complaints of sliders who unsuccessfully attempt to autoregister anyway.

The upshot is that these registration difficulties make our community much smaller than it otherwise could be, unfortunately. Also, there will still occasionally be brief bursts of spam (which I'll try to erase ASAP) during forum upgrade and maintenance periods like last night.

Thanks for your patience. If you have any suggestions to make this forum 100% spam-free while still being easy to register for, send 'em my way.

By the way, I'd like to take this time to welcome our newest forum members, lostcab, tedhammond, and JamieG.

Sliding season is finally approaching, hooray!

George
George
Site Admin

Postby Teej » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:58 pm

Doesn't your version of PHPBB allow the use of image verification?

I haven't seen much spam on boards where that's in place.
Teej

Postby George » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:11 am

Yep, it requires a "CAPTCHA" image verification, and requires the administrator to approve any registration attempts before they go live. But spambots are magically bypassing all those features, so I completely turn off registration.
George
Site Admin

Postby Teej » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:12 pm

Maybe try a newer version of phpbb?

I've worked with phpbb in the past and never had a problem w/ the spambots...
Teej

Return to General Skeleton Forum