Fascinated

Post anything here: general conversations, classified ads, related sports (luge, bobsled), etc.

Fascinated

Postby aaron » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:18 am

This site is great! I have to say I'm fascinated with the sport. When I heard about skeleton coming back to the Olympics it made me crazy. I have always done everything head first. You’re going to laugh but skate boarding, wake boarding, snow sledding, etc.

I am very very tempted to give it a try. I have always been a fast short distance sprinter. Years of soccer, football, and pole vaulting. I was the fastest one on the soccer team from my sophomore year on. I also understand the importance of shifting body weight. I wrestled for 13 years. The trick is committing to it. Own my own business, married, and three kids... life is pretty full right now. Trying to talk myself into it...

Aaron
aaron

Postby oschiro » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:50 pm

aaron,
my name is eric, sounds like we are in a similar position, kids and commitments but want to give this sport a go. I am a competitive triathlete and ultrarunner with a good body composition, 5'10" 165lbs but fear I may lack the sprinting power to be quick at this. I wonder if that can't be trained though. Thoughts?
oschiro

Facinated

Postby aaron » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:15 pm

Eric,

I would think speed and short distance sprinting would be something that could be learned. It probably has to do with the right kind of training. I am picking up a new sport this summer cycling. One of the things I am going to throw into my training is sprint workouts. It’s still very different than skeleton but my hope is to build leg strength and quick muscles.

I found a couple of years back some speed training on the Houston Texans website. I haven’t looked at it in a while but here is a link to their training manual. Look on pages 38 - 43.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fitness/pd ... 010703.pdf

also

http://www.athletes.com/fun/trackandfieldwork.htm

On another note a friend and I are going to go to Park City UT to do three runs. I guess it costs $150 for those runs. They have it tuned down for the public. Supposedly you only get up to about 45 mph. But it should be a nice taste for no experience. We are talking about the weekend of March 11th. I can hardly wait. It’s funny to the guy I'm going with likes to talk trash, so game on!
aaron

Return to General Skeleton Forum